Solved Can't Move Folders with Files on External Hard Drive - Need Help!

Hey everyone, I'm having a weird issue with my external hard drive. I can’t move folders that have files in them to another folder on the same drive. It either gives me an error or just doesn’t do anything. I’ve tried restarting my computer and checking for errors on the drive, but no luck. My setup is: Seagate 2TB External HDD, Windows 10.

Anyone else faced this problem or have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

This thread has been solved! Go to solution…
I’ve had this problem before, and it was due to the drive being formatted in a way that my computer couldn’t fully support. What operating system are you using? It might be a compatibility issue.

I had the same issue with my external drive. It turned out that the file system was corrupted. I ran a disk check (chkdsk on Windows), and after that, I could move files around without any problems. You might want to try that.

This message is a solution!
The issue you’re encountering when trying to move folders on your external hard drive could be caused by a few potential causes. First, it’s important to verify whether the drive is write-protected, as this would prevent any modifications, including moving files.

Additionally, if the drive is formatted as NTFS and you’re using a macOS system, this could be the cause since macOS can’t write to NTFS drives by default. If permissions or file system compatibility isn’t the issue, running a disk check or repair utility might help resolve any underlying problems with the drive.

This could be due to permission settings on the drive. I found a YouTube video that shows how to fix permissions on an external hard drive.