I just replaced the battery on my HP EliteBook, and now it takes forever for the CPU to start up.

Hello everyone,

I recently ordered new batteries for my HP EliteBook 8770W with an i7 3740QM CPU running WIN10 Pro. Since switching to these new batteries, my PC starts up at only 1GHz instead of the usual 2.7GHz, making it extremely slow. It feels like the PC is checking something during startup and then throttling the CPU down.

When I use my old HP batteries, the PC starts up without any issues.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

P.S. The new batteries are the exact replacement type number of the original HP batteries but they came from China. I ordered and paid for original ones, but I suspect they might be non-original despite the high price.

Thanks in advance

hey, a few things you might try:

• check your BIOS settings, make sure it's set for performance and not power-saving
  • update the BIOS, sometimes that fixes weird hardware issues
  • calibrate the new batteries by fully charging and then fully discharging them a few times
  • use a tool to check if the new batteries are actually genuine, could be they're not compatible
  • reset your Windows power plan settings to default, might help
  • try using ThrottleStop to monitor and tweak your CPU performance
  • if none of that works, contact the seller and explain the issue, especially if you think the batteries aren't original
hope one of these helps!

It sounds like your new batteries might not be genuine, even though they have the same type number. First, check the BIOS/UEFI settings for any power management options and ensure your BIOS is up to date. Also, switch to the "High Performance" power plan in Windows. If the problem persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the battery drivers via Device Manager. If none of this works, it's likely the batteries are the issue, so consider getting a refund or replacement from a trusted seller.