is my mom being scammed?

Today, my mom was browsing Facebook when she received a pop-up alert saying her computer was hacked and instructing her to call 828-642-7676. She made the call and was informed that her entire network was compromised, and her information was allegedly being used to purchase child p**n. I quickly told her it sounded like a scam. Although they didn't ask her to buy anything or for any passwords, they did inquire about how many credit cards and bank accounts she has. If this is indeed a scam, what's their end game? What could they be planning to do next?

It's a scam focused on getting your money. Instead of bank transfers, they often ask for gift cards, which they can easily redeem. Cut off all contact, block their numbers, and check to ensure they haven't already taken any money from you.

They were evaluating her to pinpoint the ideal target for their scam. Alternatively, they might be collecting and selling personal information. Additionally, I recommend backing up my mom's data and reinstalling the operating system for security. She should also update all her passwords.