Need Help Connecting a Second Monitor via USB-C

Hey everyone,

I’ve got a Dell XPS 15 (9500 model) and I’m trying to hook up two external monitors. The first one is connected via HDMI (works perfectly), but I’m having trouble with the second one using a USB-C to HDMI cable.

The problem is, Windows doesn’t seem to recognize the monitor through the USB-C port. The monitor and cable are fine they work with another laptop. The USB-C port has the "D" symbol, which means it should support an external monitor, and the manual confirms this for selected models.

Any ideas on how to get my laptop to recognize the monitor through USB-C? I’m stuck!

Try updating the Thunderbolt drivers. Dell’s support site should have the latest drivers for your model. Also, make sure your BIOS is up to date. Sometimes these updates can fix weird connectivity issues.

Try this: unplug the USB-C to HDMI cable, then go into Device Manager and look for any yellow exclamation marks under Display Adapters or USB devices. Uninstalling the USB-C driver and then restarting your laptop can force Windows to re-detect the monitor