Word Toolbar Disappeared and Files Frozen

Hey folks,

I’ve got a Win 10 PC with Office 2016, and out of nowhere, a couple of days ago, I ran into a weird issue with Word. When I tried to edit a simple Word file, the usual toolbar at the top vanished. Instead, I just see a very basic row of commands: "File", "Tools", "View", the file name, and some screen mode commands. Even though the file opens fine, I can’t make any changes to it!

I’ve tried rebooting, checking the "read only" status, and looking at the file info under Protect Document. Everything seems normal. I can create and edit new files, but as soon as I save and reopen them, they’re frozen too. Excel and PowerPoint are working fine without any issues.

Anyone have any ideas on what’s going on and how to fix it? Thanks a bunch!

Have you tried running a repair on Office? Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features, find Office 2016, and select "Repair." Sometimes, a quick repair can fix weird issues like this.

You might want to check if any add-ins are causing the problem. Go to File then Options then Add-ins, and disable anything that looks suspicious. Also, make sure your Office is fully updated. Sometimes, updates fix these random glitches.