[Discussion Thread] AMD Announces Ryzen 9000 With 16% IPC Uplift

I’m holding out for another X3D release, but I only recently got the 7800X3D. The performance is insane for gaming while usually only using 40-50W. It’s nice to hear that AM5 will have extended support.

For those who bought non-v-cache CPUs like me when I built my first AM5 system over a year ago, the 7800X3D wasn’t even released yet, so I went with the 7700X. If you need a PC and can’t wait, that’s your option.

I thought Zen5 would be a groundbreaking new architecture, as was mentioned before. Maybe it’ll be Zen 6. X3D is being held back to make Intel’s launch less impactful.

I’ll have to see how the 9000 series compares to the 7800X3D. If the 9000 series doesn’t outperform the 7800X3D in gaming, I might go for an X870 board and a discounted 7800X3D until the 9000X3D is released.

Seems decent, but it doesn’t appear unbeatable compared to the next Intel parts. If we compare it to the 14900K, it’s on par with the 3D Zen4 parts for gaming. The lack of comparison against 3D parts is telling.

An early leak suggested that the 9000 non-X3D > 7000 X3D in gaming. I wonder how much of that is due to the higher speed memory now supported.

Improvements will always depend on your starting point. The jumps between the X3D chips may not be as noticeable for some, but for me, still using a stock 5800X, the 3D version cost is within $50 of the 7800X3D. I’m missing out on DDR5 and PCIe 5, so I’ve been waiting to move to AM5. With the additional cost for the motherboard and RAM, I could go from a 5800X to a 9800X3D (assuming this will fill the gap) and expect significant improvements in my next system upgrade, which is exciting. I’m also just at the 3-year mark with my current system, except for the GPU, which I’ve upgraded.

I want to wait for the X3D variants, but I really don’t want to wait until New Year’s only for them not to put the 3D V-cache on both CCDs.

I’m tempted to go for an X3D chip when they come out this fall. My 12600K is starting to show its age, and if I build a new PC, AM5 seems like the best choice right now. Intel has improved, but until they can match the X3D architecture, it’s hard to justify choosing them.